Have you seen the bodysuit trend that’s been gracing magazine covers in 2016? Everyone from Taylor Swift to Kendall Jenner to Emma Roberts is sporting this form-fitting style. Not just for festival goers and ballet dancers anymore, the bodysuit (think leotard or one-piece swimsuit with a snap, hook, or Velcro closure at the groin) has transformed into an amazing fashion “do.”
Check out all the different styles of bodysuits below as we show you how to wear a bodysuit like the best of them.
Why the Bodysuit Trend is So Popular
For starters, you can’t beat the smooth, chic look of a bodysuit. It hugs your body like a glove. Secondly, everyone and their famous friends have been seen sporting the bodysuit trend: Selena Gomez, Gigi Hadid, Vanessa Hudgens, and all the Kardashians, and that’s saying something.
- The fit is flattering. They’re the ideal “top” for high-waisted shorts, pants and pencil skirts. There’s no need for constant adjusting and tucking with a body-hugging bodysuit.
- The fabrics are super soft and comfy. Perfect for lounging around in the heat of summer, just slip on a denim skirt, grab your sunnies and sandals and you’re ready to go!
- And they’re just so sexy. Slip on a plunging V-neck bodysuit, short shorts and strappy high heels and work it, Queen.
Types of Bodysuits You’ll Want In Your Wardrobe
The versatility of the bodysuit is unbeatable. Thanks to the bodysuit trend rising in popularity, you can discover how to wear a bodysuit in form-fitting styles that suit your needs in tons of colors, cuts and fabrics.
- Scoop-neck and plunging necklines are available everywhere, but don’t forget to look for more unique lace-up, cutout and off-the-shoulder styles to stand out.
- Sleek, backless bodysuits pair well jeans or flowing skirts. Try contrasting skin-on-top to more fabric on the bottom to create balance in your outfit.
- Buy a long-sleeved turtleneck bodysuit to help summer dresses transition into autumn by pairing the look with tights, tall boots and plush sweaters.
- For those who dare to bare even more boldly, bodysuits are also available in leather, lace, and mesh. Think Ariana Grande in her black and silver miniskirt number in the “Focus” music video.
Ways to Wear a Bodysuit
With its transition from ballet dancer uniform to a multi-style piece ready to wear at a moment’s notice, the bodysuit trend is here to stay. Whether you’re gearing up for a night out or just want to look your best while grabbing groceries, the bodysuit has you covered.
- Go bohemian with a gauzy flowing skirt, a pastel bodysuit and flower crown. Don’t forget the fringe purse and sandals.
- Whether you’re busty or flat-chested, bodysuits expertly hold everything in place for a sleek silhouette. Pair with a smooth t-shirt bra for extra support or a lacy bralette for stylish coverage.
- Be a boss like Kim K. in a black bodysuit, black pencil skirt and fierce overcoat on your way to the office.
- Whether you favor skinny jeans or bootcut, the bodysuit trend pairs with denim like a match made in heaven.
- Pair a bodysuit with a pair of professional trousers and blazer to give traditional menswear a look that is uniquely feminine.
If you’re in the mood for a sleek new style that’s been approved by some of the leading fashion icons in music, movies and pop culture, the bodysuit is it. The bodysuit trend is far from over and learning to swap tops for this chic and body-hugging piece is easy. Take a look at 10 ways to wear a bodysuit below and let us know which ones are your favorite daytime and nighttime looks.
Featured photo: Annabelle Fleur shows sunny days are made for crisp white bodysuits with sexy crisscross necklines and high waisted jean shorts. With a coordinating scarf, sandals and sunnies, this modern 1970s look is ready to hit the beach.
Bodysuit: One Eleven by Express, Shorts: Express, Shoes: Marc Fisher LTD, Purse: CHLOE, Sunglasses and Bandana: One Eleven